Tuesday, March 5, 2013

One Stencil, three ways.....

 

All three of these pieces were created with just one stencil I cut from an old file folder.  Just draw a simple tree shape onto a file folder, or other heavy paper, then use your Xacto knife to cut the design out......that's all there is to it!

CPS art This piece was published in the January/February issue of ClothPaperScissors but is just one use of the same stencil.  This one has a collaged background of tissue paper, stamps and small pieces of paper, all painted over with acrylics and then sprayed with spray paint.  Then I took a stamp, I had carved, and added leaves!

IMG_3600 This two page journal spread shows two different ways to use the same stencil.  On the left side of the page I used the tree shaped part, that I had cut out of the stencil, as a stamp.  Putting paint on it and pressing it on to the painted page.  On the right side, I sprayed the yellow through the stencil.  Then I added hand carved bird stamping and some number rub-ons.

IMG_3605 Another look!  Lots of red, still some turquoise and yellow.....tree was sprayed and textured with ink and the bird stamp was used again.

Some serious fun with an inexpensive hand cut stencil!  You should try it, if you haven't already.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

elle said...

I am definitely trying this as I am experimenting with stencils and I am really wanting to make some of my own. These are great!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I enjoyed how you used the stencil in three ways. I especially liked the first way you showed because of the leaves you added. But the last image was awesome. The tiny hearts were a perfect addition.

I hope to make a stencil, too, but since I'm craft knife challenged, I may end up losing a finger in the process (grin).