Wednesday, March 31, 2010

How do you use your drop cloth?

I have a question for those of you participating today in Kathleen's White Wednesday at Faded Charm.

I've just discovered the joys of a painter's drop cloth....I know I'm a little late to the party!  I bought one to make cushion covers for a chair and end up using it as a throw to cover the sofa!

sofa cover 007

Could it be more obvious why I need a cover!  Besides a dog and three cats there is a lot of sun that comes in those east facing windows.

 

Back to my question.....it occurs to me that you creative ladies must have found some unique ways to use this inexpensive, wonderfully textured fabric.  I'd love it if you would let me know, with your comments or links to your blog, what clever uses you have found.

sofa cover 006A WONDERFUL AND BLESSED EASTER TO YOU ALL!

10 comments:

oldgreymare said...

Jan,

Some Big Lots, but not all, have "heavy" drop cloths that are huge, very well textured, and less than 19.00. I run them through the machine a couple of times and they drape beautifully. Been using them as fabric for decades. Make sure to look for the "heavy" word..the cheaper ones are too loose a weave for my taste.

Enjoy!

Suzan

Faded Charm said...

Good question. I've seen them used for drapes before and they are really pretty. I'll put my thinking cap on.

~Happy WW~

Kathleen

Mary Beth @ Live. Laugh. Make Something said...

absolutely delightful! so cheerful! I am so happy that I came by. Please accept my invitation to drop in at my place one day this week when you get a moment. until later... Happy Whites!

Vintage Market Place said...

definitely a great alternative to a sofa cover that costs a fortune.
Looks great!

AMy

Sandi said...

If you need inspiration for using drop cloths go and visit Dawn @ The Feathered Nest. She uses drop cloths a lot and everything turns out fabulous!!!!!!
Blessings~

the old white house said...

Hi Suzan! I used dropcloths as curtains for my dining room and am hooked! I had to go get more to make new pillows for our couches and possibly more curtains in the living room! They wash great and look like linen don't you think? Yours looks great on the couch! Happy WW, Theresa

Miss Gracie's House said...

I'm a little behind in the game...just for painting here:)...Happy WW!
Rene'

kathi @ traybella said...

i am planning to use them as drapes on my screen porch...if i ever get it built!

i think they are a great 'fabric' to stencil making for some really pretty pillows.

Unknown said...

so funny....my couch looks just like this! lol

Toni Youngblood, aka "Sparky" said...

Hi Jan:
Absolutely, I've used painters' drop cloths for many decorating purposes for years. I have used them in three different drapery "designs", as a drape over my ancient Regency sofa, for upholstering seat covers and making pillow and cushion covers. I love the texture, color and weight of this fabric once it's thrown into the washer and dried in the dryer. It's sort of the "budget linen" for decor. ;o) I will soon be doing a post on my blog about this material. Thanks for asking.