Monday, April 30, 2012

Ending April and entering May with emotion….

 

The last weekend, of the month of March 2012, was one of ups and downs for me.

On Saturday, I attended the funeral of a woman who was a friend, mentor and inspiration.  She was every inch a southern lady and a very talented oil and acrylic painter.  Years ago, she took a tole painting class from me and said “you should be painting on canvas”.  I was sure I could never do that….but she assured me I could and taught me how!  A chance meeting that changed my life.  I will always remember her and be grateful.

Then on Sunday…..my daughter-in-law and I got up early and drove to Eugene to watch our granddaughter/niece run the Eugene Marathon!

Here she is at the finish…………….

IMG_2207

…….and this is what you do after you’ve finished running for 4 hours and 8 minutes and 25 seconds…..sit in a baby pool filled with ice water and eat chips with your crown firmly planted on your head and your medal around your neck!  Ya’ gotta love it!

IMG_2216Wow!  Another reminder of the strength of the human spirit….all of these people, over 4000, had just run, or walked, a half (13 miles) or full (26 miles) marathon.  Staci is 33, the mother of two little girls, who works part-time and has been training for six months!  Her husband completed his first marathon last year, this was her year.

Her Aunt Jan, who went with me, is a runner,also, and has finished two half marathon.   I don’t know how they do it….I did walk a 5K once! Woo Hoo! 

On a whole different note, but celebrating the beginning of a new month…..I’m once again sharing my calendar at Kate’s blog The Kathryn Wheel.

April’s calendar ended looking like this…….I think Saturday and Sunday deserve their own special journal pages and I’m going to do that this week.

IMG_2224 

IMG_2226

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Here is to kicking off May with lots of color and texture…..

 IMG_2227

Let the adventures begin….we are off to see what this month brings!

19 comments:

elle said...

A great month. I think I'll borrow your format from April as just the day/week grid I did needs bumping up a notch! You are inspiring yourself! :)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I really like your format, but that would be too much writing for me. I like three to five words. After that, it's time to type! But I LOVE the colors you have used and way you decorate your pages. Quite artsy.

AJ said...

Love the way you do your pages.
AJ

Wildflowerhouse said...

Love your April all finished and now onward to May. I can't wait to see it all filled in. Your off to a great start.

Crafting Queen said...

Wow, love your pages, the colours and textures are fab.

Sandra Hall said...

I think your colour scheme is great and you've got some lovely texture going on there too :)

france papillon said...

oh wow, what an original way to work your calendar out! absolutely gorgeous!

Linda Kunsman said...

Love those bright spreads-it seems to set a great tone for an upcoming month!

Luna Art said...

I love the layout of your pages, just stunning! x

ally said...

gorgeous pages x

Cris, Artist in Oregon said...

Thanks for the comment. I spent the morning going to different nurseries for flowering plants to start planting here. Love living where its green. Love the colors in your journal and I am tired just thinking about your Grand daughter running that far. :) Eugene is an hour or so above us.

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

Sounds like things have been busy. Glad you found the time to create those beautiful pages. I like the date squares in April's pages and the colors in May's are so fun and bright.

Janique de Suisse said...

I love your calendars pages !!

pearshapedcrafting said...

I really love the way you have done your pages. May looks as though its ready for something lovely too!

Marjie Kemper said...

Your journal looks fantastic. Sorry for your loss.

Joanna said...

Your April and May pages look wonderful. Congrats on your run achievement :o) I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your friend, keep those precious memories close to your heart.

Unknown said...

beautiful spread! I really like the jumbly artsy-ness of it all.

Julie said...

I admire people who can do those marathons...it looks like torture to me!!! Congrats to your granddaughter!!!

Always loving your journal pages!!!

thekathrynwheel said...

I love the looser style of your calendar pages. They look so beautiful and colourful too. Well done for keeping up with the calendar - only the hardcore calendar journalers are left in now LOL!