Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Gelli Printmaking Class

 

Monday was the first day of great on-line class I've signed up for.  The class is being taught by Carla Sonheim, a Seattle artist and author of several art books.  Yes, it is all about printmaking using a Gelli Plate.

Some of you know "Gelli Plate" is the registered name of a product that looks like gelatin and feels like gelatin but is made of a synthetic material of some sort.  As much as, I'm sure it is a practical tool.....I'm not quite ready to give in and go out to buy something I can make so easily for so little money, so, I make my own gelatin plate.

Using Knox Gelatine at a two tablespoons of gelatin to one cup of water ratio, I use a 12x8 Pyrex cake pan for a mold.

Here are a few sample I made from the first class.....can't wait to see what we do in the second class, tomorrow.

IMG_4075

IMG_4076

IMG_4077

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_4078

IMG_4079

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'll keep you posted on the next steps and how these pages change over the week! 

In the meantime, go here to Carla's blog to learn more about this class and other classes she is teaching. 

2 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

These look really interesting. Like you, I don't own a Gelli, also preferring to make my own. I've read the Gelli is harder, with less give than gelatin. I also read they scratch easily if you aren't careful. So, it is good you have chosen to wait until you can do a bit of research to determine if the Gelli is really the right tool for the job.

BTW, when my gelatin starts to break apart, I just reheat it and it sets even faster the second time. I've had mine last over six weeks by keeping it refrigerated, wrapped in foil or plastic wrap.

elle said...

These are quite different. very cool. Looking forward to seeing more!