Thursday, January 10, 2013

Two dollars well spent.......

 

Last week, the on-line Interweave store sent me a notice about a video made by Julie Balzer featuring painting over collage.  I had not seen or heard of it before, I was curious, I bought it....for the handsome price of $1.99! 

Now, that turned out to be two bucks very well spent, at least for me.  Now, for $2 you don't expect a lot of content, or I don't, but I got $1000. worth of inspiration.  She choose to paint a highly stylized woman's face over a collaged background.  Well, I had to try THAT!  So, I have been.......

This is the first one I did and pretty much in the top two of favorites, so far.

IMG_3620There are many things wrong with her but I think she has some personality and life.  Now, I'm set on doing a series, just to see if I can get one piece that I think is "suitable".

So, this is the second one....way too much the look of a paper doll, in my mind.

IMG_3621 

 

 

I wanted to try the pouty lower lip "thing" but, I don't much care for it now that I've done it.  It was a good opportunity to try some other colors, otherwise, no life in this one.

 

 

IMG_3634

 

 

 

Well, great, just another Miss Cutie Two Shoes....she does look a bit pensive and I like the colors and the quote.  Otherwise, ho-hum.

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_3635

 

 

 

Of what I've done so far, she comes to closest to what I'm aiming for...she is fairly stylized, show's enough fear that I helped her out with a some supportive, biblical words to calm her down.

I LOVE the red hair....I have some light source issues, I'd say.

Well, that's my critique...what's yours?

 

 

I was, also, inspired to get out the pencil and draw a realistic woman's face.  I believe you need to be able to draw faces well, realistically, before you can abstract them.

IMG_3631 Sometimes, the simplest things can inspire us to try something new.  I'm very visual and it helps me a lot to see something and then use it as a springboard.....hence my love of books, magazines, videos and all the awesome blogs that are out there!

What inspires you?

3 comments:

Dianne said...

ah yes...the challenge of realism can be intimidating. Great faces all...despite your reservations! I find that to just keep drawing them makes an improvement. I have gotten a bit comfortable with the 'stylized' that I don't often make the effort to do realism. but I love drawing faces! I look forward to seeing more faces on your blog...

Julie said...

These are really cool!!!!! I like the second one down the best...I believe mainly due to the colors used.

halohill.blogspot.com said...

What a cool concept! Looks like you're having fun with it. :) I like them all, and I really like the drawn one. :)

Hugs,

Sheila