Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Drawing.....

 

As it got closer to Christmas I was not inclined to drag out a bunch of art supplies or create another mess to clean up, so............I started drawing, just drawing!  It's easy, you only need a pencil and some paper, right?  Well, I cheated a bit, and add some watercolor to a couple drawings but, mostly, I drew.

IMG_3585

I started with hands, my hands!  Drawing your own hands has some limitations but it is a good place to start, next I had coffee with friends and ask one of them to be my hand model.

IMG_3586The hand on the bottom is mine, my friend's hands are holding a cup!  I started drawing hands because of a conversation with another friend about how difficult it was to draw hands.....some hand poses are much more difficult than others.  For me, the first three drawings of my own hand was much easier, and straight forward, than drawing my friends hands doing something.....like holding a cup, now, we have to foreshorten fingers and hard stuff, like that!  This isn't perfect and I will try again but it was interesting and a challenge and, most importantly, I learned something.

IMG_3584 Next, I found this gentleman's photo in a magazine.  I see some things that I can improve upon but, it was darn fun to draw him!

So.....my only New Year's resolution is "DRAW MORE"! 

5 comments:

elle said...

Good for you!

Julie said...

Neat hand drawings, and the mans face is fantastic! Happy new year!

Ilona Heimböckel said...

Thank you for your visit at my place!
I understand your post so well! I like drawing too, and hands are a challenge.

And drawing is a good way of practicing without messing up your place :-)

Have a nice week-end!

halohill.blogspot.com said...

Great!! Wow, I especially like the drawing of he man's face! Beyond excellent!

Sheila

Shari said...

Wow, great pics! I want to practice drawing hands too. They are hard to draw, though you've done really well!