Sunday, February 6, 2011

Horses, stamps and half-a-terrarium!

Crazy busy week with a fun filled ending!

Yesterday, Saturday, we journeyed over to McMinnville  to watch our, almost 17 year old granddaughter, participate in the Oregon High School Equestrian Teams District meet.

IMG_0149

This was the first time she and her horse, Oreo, have been a part of such a meet.  The event was spread over four days and included 25 high schools.  Here, she and Oreo are doing an event called "reining". 

Another Granddaughter and her two girls came to watch, too, and afterwards we were off for some shopping and lunch (after a little cuddle with Ben).

IMG_0163

"Mac", as it is commonly referred to, is a small collage town with a great downtown shopping district.  There is an incredible fabric store and an art store "to die for".....not to mention some great restaurants.  All of this is located in the heart of Oregon's wine country.

A while back, I bought some material that is used to carve your own rubber stamps.  I've made stamps before using just an X-acto knife but I decided I wanted to get a set of carving tools....I found a set at the "to die for" art store and came home and carved these.

IMG_0174IMG_0172Some times, mistakes make for some cool results.  In the bird stamp you can see where I drew a different style bird on the material first, then changed my mind, and carved the larger bird.  Now, I have a bird within a bird....a weird concept....but I like it.

Well, now, that was fun!

But, wait there's more, I said I've been busy....on the way home we visited a flea market.  For a "buck", I found a cool little terrarium.....all white and shabby with a pointed roof-style top. 

Guess what, getting out of the car the top fell off onto the garage floor and smashed to pieces......shoot!  Time to make some lemon-ade, so here it is................full of shells, not plants.

IMG_0165Not bad for half-a-terrarium!

IMG_0164IMG_0168Been working on my journal and creating some envelope art for a swap, too.  I'm just having too much fun.  Think today will be my day of rest and then we will see what next week brings.

I'd love it if you choose to become a follower and left a comment!  Enjoy......

I am linking with Metamorphasis Monday , Creative Everyday, Coastal Charm's Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

16 comments:

Quiltemarerittet said...

I like your stamp´s. So simple, with great result´s.

Thank you for the collage. It was really nice of you to sent me something from USA! I will blog it tomorrow.

In the middle of february, I will visit my aunt Birgit in Stockholm and I hope I will see Ann too.
It will take me one hour with the plane from my town Östersund to Stockholm.
we shall go to a big antiqueshow. All three of us is interesting in old thing´s. I will take some picture´s this time.

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

$1 for that darling terrarium?? What a great deal!
Since you love to learn, be involved and to laugh, can you join us in our Swap Followings linky party? It opens every Monday at 5 pm, PST. You'll get to meet excellent bloggers and increase your followers in the process. For more details, check our last party on 1.31.11 (sorry I can't send you the direct link coz I use iPhone right now). See you there :)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I LOVE the way you experiment and come up with some of the coolest things. Your bird and house are totally AWESOME. I want to find some of that cool rubber so I can make my own.

Sorry to read about the terrarium top, but looks like you found use for it in the end. And we can't forget your granddaughter and her horse. I hope she did well.

elle said...

Great post! Your home decor is beautiful. The journal is wonderful. The stamps are so cool. I'm all for making lemonade!

Karen said...

I LOVE your homemade rubber stamps...I've never thought about making my own. And your bird within a bird is awesome! Too bad the terrarium top got broke,but it's still wonderful, too.

Cowgirl Red said...

Oreo is a fantastic little horse!!! Having a soft spot for Paints myself. Thanks for visiting my blog, too. We have lots in common. I'm so happy to find you...errrrr technically you found me. The shell-erarium is beautiful and what a perfect spot. Terah

Terri Kahrs said...

Your rubber stamps are awesome! I think it's the one art form that I haven't tried, and I'm in awe of artists who create their own stamps. Love the terrarium! Hugs, Terri

. said...

I love the stamps!! I can't believe you carved those yourself...that is awesome!!

And the half-terrarium looks great with the shells in it! :)

Allison Shops said...

Love Oreo's name. The half terrarium is very pretty with the shells. Good idea. Dropping by from Met Mon. Hope you'll come see my youngest daughter's dining room redo.

Allison
Atticmag

Honey at 2805 said...

Neat stamps and terrarium. And that's a great picture of you and the children with Ben. He was a great guy!

Acornsales said...

awsummmmm ideaaaaaaaaa. for carving own rubber stamps........ ;) ;) ;)and terrarium looks great :) :)

Unknown said...

Your carved stamps are great .... I've had fun with that too .... But stamp less and less these days. I guess I just forget to take them out and use them :)

I love your white desk, shelf, etc. The terrarium is really cool, and I especially love the litte wall cabinet/shelf.

I did hear of the Ladies Detective t.v. series, but think I should finish the books .... I still have a few to go .... And a new one? That IS good news!


Feel free to join the tea bunch anytime .... Or just stop in and say hello now and again.

Victoria said...

What a bummer about your terrarium roof! But it looks pretty with the way you decorated it:)

Anita Diaz said...

Love the stamps!! I have never done any stamping. I bet the Equestrian Meet was wonderful!! My girls love riding, but really only get to do it during the summer.

Vintagesouthernlife said...

Your rubber stamps are great and I love the terrarium with the shell... so creative!

Staci said...

You never told me about the terrarium breaking, OH NO! But the end result is gorgeous. LOVE the bird within the bird, great job on the stamps.