Thursday, December 16, 2010

It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas...

In an earlier blog, I mentioned I was having some problems, this year, getting into the spirit of Christmas!

Well, the circumstances of the last two days have certainly changed that.......yesterday's party with my "young in spirit" old-friends  where I was given one of the best gifts, I think, I've ever received and today where a blogger friend shared a wonderful tutorial on Altering Books with me.  Wow!  Do I feel special and blessed!

First, about bloggers and how sharing they can be....that is what makes blogging so much fun and so renews your faith in people and their generosity to perfect strangers.  So, for all the negatives you hear about the internet, trust me, there are lots of beautiful people out there.

Elizabeth,the woman who organized the 12 Days of Christmas swap, has so generously shared information with me on Altering Books that will be soooo helpful this spring when I teach a class at the art center.  That was the icing on the cake, as they say!

As for........best gift I have ever received check out these photos!  All from the early 1900s, these wonderful union badges and commemorative ribbon badges.

christmas 2010 017

 

christmas 2010 019 christmas 2010 018 

christmas 2010 020

christmas 2010 021

christmas 2010 024 christmas 2010 022 christmas 2010 023Most of them represent the electrician's union and must have been worn at meetings and/or when a member passed away.  One badge was for the Modern Woodmen of America and one commemorates the Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition in 1898.  Except for the one with the buffalo,which is the smallest, all of the ribbon badges are about seven or eight inch lengths of silk or velvet ribbon with metal attachments and silver or gold lettering.

Lots of girls cry when they receive diamond jewelry...not this girl....I cried over "diamonds in the rough".  I've seen pictures of cool badges and ribbons, like these before, but did not think I would ever be so lucky as to own one, let alone eight.

My friend, Murva, who knows I make jewelry and collage, mentioned she had some things I might be able to use, her son had given to her but she had no use for them. She said she would bring them to our Christmas party and I could take a look to see if it was anything I could use....Holy Batman!  Was I surprised and delighted.

Can I take them apart and use them in my art.....we'll now, that is a different matter!  I may try to figure out a way to display them in a shadow box or frame.....but I don't think I can take them apart!

What a great Christmas this is turning out to be!

Join me at Coloradolady's Vintage Thingie Thursday, Southeran In My Heart's Inspiration FridayThe Answer is Chocolate's Open House, A la carte's Junkin' Finds Friday  and Mr Romantic Hom Show and Tell Friday.  Remember I love comments!

18 comments:

Postcardy said...

Those ribbons and badges are so interesting looking the way they are. I would be reluctant to take them apart.

The Rusty Teapot said...

Maybe you could spread the Christmas Spirit and share with us, some of the great info Elizabeth shared with you on Altering Books!

Coloradolady said...

What a great gift, I think I would have a hard time taking them apart. they are really neat. Happy VTT!

Anonymous said...

Those are absolutely amazing. Love the pieces of history.

Unknown said...

Glad things are looking up! looks like a beautiful treasure.
xo
lynn

Michelle L. said...

What cool items, you are so lucky to get such great loot! I bet you come up with some really good way to trasform them without taking them apart. Happy crafting!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

OHH, I'm drooling, too. These are gorgeous. Not sure I could cut them up, either. But I could sure see using one in an assemblage. Totally awesomely awesome. You have special friends, that's for sure. And I'm glad you liked my AB tips, too.

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

What an amazing collection!

Journal Swag said...

OMG, how gorgeous! When I saw them at first I thought you were kidding!! To DIE for! Hurray for you!! :)

Sheila

Vanessa said...

What a wonderful surprise to receive those amazing pieces of history! I agree that blogging has reminded me of how wonderfully kind total strangers can be and it is such a blessing to be apart of this community. Thank you so much for joining the Inspiration Friday party this week!
Vanessa

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I am so glad you have gotten in the Christmas spirit! Love your badges, those are so interesting. Thanks for joining Junkin Finds Friday!

Elizabeth said...

Love the history they represent. Much prefer treasures like that over diamonds any day.

A Few Pennies said...

What a lovely vintage collection of ribbons and badges! I have a few I plan to tie around some antique bottles. Love your blog!

Jane said...

Wow! Those ribbons are so cool! What a wonderful gift from your friend.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Jane

Amanda Lee said...

Wow! What an amazing gift! I would be doing the happy dance from here to next week! Thanks for stopping by House Revivals -- I'm glad you enjoyed the post on our "Holiday Beach House", and thanks for the sweet welcome to the PNW!
~Amanda

Anna said...

That is an amazing gift; they're incredible. Merry Christmas!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Well, look at those cameras sitting up there on that shelf;-) I love that header. Thank you so much for your comments about my camera repurposing project.
Those ribbons are so beautiful. I think a shadow box is just what they need. I'd be feeling awful about taking them apart....too much history and they're in such good shape. I do believe my heart would skip a few beats if I received those as a gift.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

What a fabulous gift! I would have been crying too. The badges are wonderful and would great in a shadow box.
Hugs,
Sherry