Saturday, April 24, 2010

Sweet tweets.......

saturday 006

This little birdie has been "hanging" on several blogs, I've noticed.  I started thinking I NEEDED one, too.

In the meantime, I noticed that one talented blogger had shined him up a bit!  Sorry, I do not know who's blog,  but if you do, please let me know....I want to give her credit......cause I just out right copied her.

First, go to the dollar store and buy one, or two.........then come home and paint him black..trail 014Then the fun begins.......you cover him/her with silver leaf!

trail 009Mine were made special by the fact that the silver leaf was a gift from a friend.  This very high quality silver leaf is close to eighty years old and stamped Made in Germany, it had belonged to my friend's father.

The brown lines, on the bird on the left, are because the edges of the leaf are starting to tarnish.  These birds will tarnish, like any silver, over time.

This was the first time I've tried a silver leafing project. My only advice would be: you should buy a spray can of metal leaf adhesive, rather than try to use regular glue.  Michael's sells silver leaf and the adhesive...........  OR.........you could, just buy a can of silver paint, spray and distress.  There is always a way!   Aside from the cost, the leafing was easy and quick.

These little guys are really darn cute without the silver, too, but the shine classes them up a bit, I think. 

3 comments:

murva said...

Then you give one to a friend who will love it!! Thank you, Jan.

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Wow how neat and pretty these birds turned out to be. Very creative idea. Glad I stopped by to say hello
Take care
Maggie

Anonymous said...

I love this project, especially since I'm Always Nesting:) Seriously, the birds are adorable!!